Your hair is like a crown that is all yours and you can change them the way you want or need. But these changing climates can bring so much damage to them that it sometimes creates havoc. Every season has a different impact on them but winter damages your hair the most! All those chilly winds make the scalp dry & rough and your hair loses moisture, resulting in an itchy scalp, split ends, breakage, dandruff, and frizziness.
If you’re a travel junkie and love visiting high altitudes then you might suffer from such hair problems more often. So, to protect your hair from such harsh weather, you need to maintain a proper hair-care routine. And if you already have one, mold it according to the weather, try adding some good quality products for your hair’s health.
Before diving into the hair-care routine or products suitable in winters, let’s know some common hair issues that you might face at low temperatures or cold climates:
The most common issue faced by many is dryness. The reason is the lack of humidity in temperature and chilly winds. During the winter season, the cold winds wash away even the natural oils from the air and leave them dry and fuzzy, even your scalp experiences dryness. This ultimately results in the breakage of your hair strands.
- Dandruff: Dandruff is the worst enemy of your hair. It occurs due to the dryness of the scalp and also causes irritation & itchiness on your head. If you don’t treat it within the time then it’s almost impossible to rid of that soon. The dehydrated scalp promotes it even more.
- Itchy scalps: Dandruff, dryness, low humidity, and cold winds, altogether, contributes to having an itchy scalp. Sometimes it’s the opposite that you feel itchiness on your scalp and you can’t help. It slowly becomes frequent and if not treated soon results in dandruff and dryness. It affects the quality of hair and they often lose shine because they didn’t get a natural oil supply due to itchy scalp.
- Now let’s explore certain products that can help you keep your hair health intact. Some of these are even easy to carry during traveling, whether it’s a long car ride to Himachal Pradesh or a solo/couple Ladakh Bike Trip :
- Lightweight oil: Your hair must get proper nourishment as it loses most of the moisture in cold weather. So, you can apply oil on your strands and your scalp as well. Pick lightweight oil like argan oil, sweet almond oil, or jojoba oil so that you don’t feel heaviness on your head.
You can also keep them handy or carry them around in your bag when traveling during the winter season or to low-temperature places. You can even apply oil on your strands daily to keep the moisture and dampness intact.
- Anit-dandruff shampoo: If you’re prone to dandruff, you should switch to anti-dandruff shampoo during the season or while traveling to cold climate places. If you want to avoid anti-dandruff shampoo then switch to a mild shampoo that is not harsh on your hair. As both, anti-dandruff & mild shampoo doesn’t wash off natural oils from your scalp,
Also, even though you switch to mild shampoo, try not to shampoo frequently during winters because it results in a dry scalp, leading to itchiness and breakage.
- Leave-in conditioners: Leave-in conditioners work like magic during winters or at low-temperature places. They keep the hair hydrates even in harsh weather conditions. You can carry them around anywhere. They are easier to use, just apply all over your strands and leave them.
Also, never forget to apply conditioner during cold weather, even if you don’t apply it regularly after washing your hair, include it in your cold-weather hair-care routine. They help in keeping the hair moisturized. If possible, go for conditioners with a thick base and essential oils.
- Serums: Serums are a great companion for your hair if they suffer frizziness more often. As the cold weather makes them dry, rough, and unmanageable. When you apply serum, it makes them manageable and you can style them any way you want. You can apply the serum at the ends daily to get rid of the dry ends during windy weather.
If you like styling your hair with heating tools then you must use serums before going with the styling. It lessens the damage of artificial heating on your hair.
- Apart from these products, you can protect your hair in cold weather in other ways:
- Wear a woolen cap or scarf
- Home remedies
- Healthy diet
- Some stress relief exercises
These are some options for you that can help in keeping your hair healthy and happy at low temperatures. If you follow a proper hair-care routine, it will result in good results.